distributor/sparking issues

distributor/sparking issues

Postby schmee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:43 pm

My stepy wont start, they think it is a sparking problem, is there any known faults or solutions?
schmee

Re: distributor/sparking issues

Postby OneStepForward » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:09 pm

Okay, let's rewind for a moment. Go back to the beginning ... So the garage are now saying it's a spark problem. If it is, they should be able to trace back to where the spark stops (if it's being produced at all!).

In another thread you were saying you/the recovery man could smell petrol in the oil. Were you actually smelling petrol in the oil, or was the smell just in the engine bay because you were turning the engine over a lot and it was flooding?

They need to rule out the head gasket first. You don't necessarily get water in the oil with a head gasket failure, if the break is between two cylinders (I've actually had this happen - not on a Steppy though!).
OneStepForward

Postby schmee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:22 pm

Hi, was a bit confusing but the garage are pretty good, they said the fuel smell is the flooding from turning it over, there is pressure its just not firing.
schmee

Postby OneStepForward » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:01 pm

So they're saying the gasket is fine, but there's no spark reaching the engine? Have they tried tracing back to see where the spark is being lost? Try not to worry too much - there should be less of an issue with getting it repaired if isn't the gasket. Unless it's the ECU it should be fairly straightforward (don't panic - it probably won't be the ECU!).
OneStepForward

Postby Vantastic » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:39 pm

Hmm . I would take it to a honda dealer (or a car electrics expert) for an OBD (On Board Diagnostics) check - ie plug in and see what the computer is saying. Also check if petrol is coming through the system when you turn it over.

I don't know of many faults for Steppys - perhaps Honda faults in general apply. Try the CRV forum: http://crvownersclub.asterpix.com/cy/24 ... s+Problems

or here - fuel cut off button on CRV .. not sure if this applies to steppys

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/sho ... php?p=8340

Hope this is a bit of help.
Loving the Steppy! ... my other car is also Vantastic!
Vantastic

Postby anto1231 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:51 pm

if the garage is pretty good then they would have told you wat the problem is if you cant sort it let me know ive got stepwagon parts everywhere
anto1231

Postby schmee » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:51 pm

Unfortunately, the garage is stumped, it now has a spark but its receiving too much fuel, they want to send the ECU for testing as they have exhausted all mechanical things like checking the injectors etc.
I am now struggling to find anyone who is willing to test the ECU, as they dont have the technical data for it.
It is quite frustrating that no-one round here wants to touch my car because it is an import.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
schmee

Postby schmee » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:52 pm

My car is recieving too much fuel and flooding the sparks so it wont start. Any idea?
schmee

Postby OneStepForward » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:02 pm

Have you tried contacting a Honda dealer? Apparently they can be quite helpful.
OneStepForward

Postby schmee » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:31 pm

Confirmed, i need a new distributor, anyone have one? know where to get one please?
schmee

Next

Return to Starting issues