B20B engine warning light ?

Technical Q&A on the 2.0 petrol engine

B20B engine warning light ?

Postby al1zdair » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi

I recently bought a 13 year old (T reg equivalent) Steppy to replace our Bongo. This car is in beautiful condition.
But, the 'handbrake' light remains lit for about 5mins at the start of every day - then goes out.
This is after the brake has been released(!) and despite of the brake fluid levels being at maximum.

The light then stays off pretty much the rest of the day (unless I use the brake, in which case it turns on and off as normal), unless it is not used for more than 12 hours or so ie however long it takes for the car to cool down.

I read somewhere that this might be an engine warning light.
The (largely non-technical) manual I acquired suggested a trip to the local Honda dealer ...
The local dealership (Redhill Honda, Surrey) were pretty helpful and connected it up to their diagnostic equipment. It came up with a code 61. However they have no clue what this is, and have got in contact with Honda Japan to see if they will shed any light on the issue ... they expect to hear back in about a week.

The servicing department manager suggested I check here first as he thought some of you might come up with a quicker (or more reliable!) answer than he might get from Honda Japan.

Any ideas?

Any help would be gratefully received!

Regards

Alisdair Semple
Just a normal easy going guy. Married, honest, happy ... how did all that happen?! : )
al1zdair

Re: B20B engine warning light ?

Postby PARR » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:19 am

I've sent you via e-mail a copy of the Diagnostic Trouble Codes for 1998 - code 61 refers to the Ignition Voltage, and suggests checking the charging circuit. It actually comes from the ABS troubleshooting section, but I see no reason for the code to refer to anything else!

I could not attach it to a post - apparently .jpg is an invalid file-type for uploading!
PARR

Postby maddie » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:58 am

I have 2 problems the engine warning light stays on even when brake is off it stays on for 4 miles then goes off when brake applied. This seems to happen in damp weather. I also think it discharges but not sure. My second problem is that I cannot seem to buy a cam belt and water pump for the T reg RG1 also local garages are not interested in changing it. It's now got 85,000 miles any ideas on both these problems. I live near High Wycombe Bucks.
maddie

Postby PARR » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:43 am

See my post of August 2012.

I no longer have the supplemental workshop manual for 1998 - as no-one in the 'club' wanted it, I sent it to a firm in Yorkshire (White Rose) who make model railway baseboards - one of their staff has an RF1 Steppy.
Code 61 refers to the Ignition Voltage, and suggests checking the charging circuit. It actually comes from the ABS troubleshooting section, but I see no reason for the code to refer to anything else!
PARR

Return to 2.0 petrol engine