'Graunching' on full lock

'Graunching' on full lock

Postby PARR » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:36 am

RF2 1999:
Has anyone any experience of a graunching/straining noise on hard right (less so left) steering (only on going forwards!)? It does not happen in reverse.
All seems well on visual examination at my Honda dealer - they think it might be to do with the hub back-plate and the disks.
There is no untoward/strange wearing on the tyres, and the toe-in and camber are correct.
All suggestions gratefully received.
PARR

Re: 'Graunching' on full lock

Postby Stevef+ » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:20 am

Hi Parr, I take it they have checked the hub bearing and the universal joints? I had a hub bearing which did that to me on another car even though there was no 'play' when trying to rock the wheel with the vehicle jacked up. My stepwagon is silent on all locks both forwards and reverse, and all you can hear at low speeds is the steering pump taking the pressure of being on full lock.

Also I once investigated a grinding problem on my mum's car on full lock. It turned out to be a tyre rubbing on a badly fitted mudflap - don't know if you have these but it drove her bonkers unril I spotted it as she manouvered out of the driveway !!! Cheers SteveF
Stevef+

Postby PARR » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:30 am

Many thanks for your comment - I'll get the dealer to check those at next service - its been happening since purchase - comment from supplier was 'many stepwagons do that' - he was straightforward about other things, so I have just kept an ear on it - had the wagon since October 2012, and it has got no worse over 8000 miles and not been mentioned at the service in 2011 or the MOT.
It is very difficult to describe, not grating sound, more 'straining' or 'winding up' - my 4x4 Panda had a similar sound when on hard lock - there was no diff. between front and back.
PARR

Postby Stevef+ » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:56 am

hi Parr, not been on for a while. If it happens when you have some speed on, lets say 40 - 50 and it happens on a progressive right hander, then you'll be adjusting to the right with the steering wheel so it would be the left hand wheel bearing. I only know this since I assumed wrong and changed the wrong hub bearing. Bit expensive. Stevef
Stevef+

Postby Stevef+ » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:59 pm

Hi Parr,

http://ezinearticles.com/?5-Signs-of-a- ... id=4433477. Found this link on failing CV joints (also known in the tade as UJs).

Hope it helps in some small way. SteveF+
Stevef+

Postby PARR » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:51 am

Many thanks - looked at the site - descriptions not quite right - sounds more like 'straining' than crunching or clicking.
PARR

Postby PARR » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:02 pm

Problem solved - one of the mechanics at my Honda dealer, during the service, said that the original CR-V occasionally did this, and it was due to the rear differential 'winding up' and that a flush-out and refill with oil was all that was needed.
This was done, and now the noise has ceased (at least on my way home from the dealer).
Hope it stays that way.
PARR

Postby PARR » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:33 pm

Now February 2012 - no more graunching!
PARR

Return to Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels