Will it tow a caravan?

General technical Q&A for the Honda Stepwagon

Will it tow a caravan?

Postby fancydressfast » Mon May 04, 2009 3:43 pm

Hello

I am looking at buying a caravan to be towed by our Honda Stepwagon 1996 4wd model but not sure of the towing weight that it will tow.?

Any help on the laden weight(kerb weight) gross weight and towing weight would be much apprciated.

Cheers Matt
fancydressfast

Re: Will it tow a caravan?

Postby Vantastic » Mon May 04, 2009 4:15 pm

Hello Matt

MY RF3 handbook suggests you should not tow anything heavier than your Stepwagon - the weight of a 4x4 RF4 is 1540 Kg - not sure if this is gross or nett weight though. Your is a RF2 so maybe the best thing you can do is buy a handbook translation via this website: http://www.click2add.co.uk/en-gb/dept_218.html.

You can get some data here too: [url]http://honda-stepwgn.info/specs/1999_may/specs_w_rotary_anti-seat_seat_modif2/
[/url] which suggests the curb weight is 1560 Kg.

Sorry can't help any further. let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Lewis :D
Loving the Steppy! ... my other car is also Vantastic!
Vantastic

Postby fancydressfast » Mon May 04, 2009 8:44 pm

Thanks Lewis

Our Wagon has also been lowered by 60mm - do you think this would cause a problem.

Cheers Matt
fancydressfast

Postby Vantastic » Mon May 04, 2009 8:57 pm

Hi again Matt - I would speak to a caravan owner about the levels when towing - if your tow bar is lower than the caravan hitch point it might cause a problem. I have not towed anything so that is why I suggest you speak to a caravan owner.

Cheers

Lewis :D
Loving the Steppy! ... my other car is also Vantastic!
Vantastic

Postby Rob » Thu May 07, 2009 6:08 pm

We got a towbar kit from here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0302706908

Fitted quickly and easily in about an hour. I don't plan to tow anything heavier than a small trailer, and so far it has only been used for the bike rack.

Rob
Rob

Postby fancydressfast » Thu May 07, 2009 7:58 pm

Hi

Decided against the idea for the minute. Had a quote for £365 inc twin electrics but he couldn't guarantee the stepwagon was capable of towing a caravan.

Thanks for all the advice - also i had a friend look into the engine and he seemed to think it had an oil coolant fitted - not sure if this right as i'm not a mechanic but he seemed to know what he was talking about. :?

Cheers Matt
fancydressfast

Postby Billzer04 » Sat May 15, 2010 2:41 pm

Just having a look through all the posts and came across this one. My Stepwagn a 1996 RF1 tows a caravan with no problem at all, a 17ft 5 berth plus my Honda has been lowered 70mm, My towbar cost me £95 with electrics :D
Billzer04

Return to General technical Q&A