Sliding Rear Seat maintenance

General technical Q&A for the Honda Stepwagon

Sliding Rear Seat maintenance

Postby Vantastic » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:17 pm

I found one of our Stepwagon's rear seats (the rearmost ones that slide and fold up against the side windows) did not slide. This was linked to the sliding mechanism for the foot, not the side mount.

To get at the assembly I folded the seat up and attached it to the side. By close inspection, I found a zip along one of the seams on the underside of the front of the seat. Pulling out the end of the zipper with my finger, I found I could unzip the seam and then partly push the cover to one side so I could see the sliding mechanism. It uses a cable (like a bike brake) which is linked back to the handle which you use to release the seat to slide. And I also found the cable stop had come out and so there was nothing to push against to release the foot sliding lock. (sorry I didn't take any photos)

I did need a good LED torch and a bit of patience to sort this out. I also had to unscrew a few philips screws to release more of the plastic covers and also used an angled set of pliers to pull off the push fit plugs used instead of screws for a few of the fixings. (The angled pliers mean you can grip the trunk of the plug rather than the top which is flimsy and would tear off). Reassemble in reverse sequence.

So now both back seats slide back and forth as they were meant to! :D
Loving the Steppy! ... my other car is also Vantastic!
Vantastic

Re: Sliding Rear Seat maintenance

Postby PAR » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:18 pm

My 1999 RF2 does not have sliding rear seats - they only fold up to the side.
What year is yours?
PAR

Postby Vantastic » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:25 am

Ours is a 2002 RF3 ... so maybe that is why! :?
Loving the Steppy! ... my other car is also Vantastic!
Vantastic

Postby PAR » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:58 pm

Could just be!
PAR

Return to General technical Q&A