How to get the double din radio out?

How to get the double din radio out?

Postby Martin » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:21 pm

Hi,

Since 4 weeks I am the proud owner of a 2006 Stepwagon and currently trying to replace my car audio system,

I am a technical guy but I have to clue how to get this thing out of the dashboard. I see that inside the car audio is mounted with some philips screws, but it is impossible to reach them.

Is there a way to take out the dashboard cover? Or maybe another suggestion?

Best Regards,

Martin van den Hoek
Martin

Re: How to get the double din radio out?

Postby PARR » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:59 pm

This is a bit late, perhaps - I have just got the following description from a guy who is not yet a member, and who has a 199* Steppy:

There are 3 screws along the top - one above the radio fit and two above the speedo. 3 screws along the bottom - one below the air vents and 2 hidden behind access panels. There is a small panel to the right of the rear window heater switch which can be eased out to expose the screw and the other screw is behind the window control panel (right of the steering wheel), again this can be eased out to expose the screw.
Gently ease the whole plastic surround out, the air vents come away with the panel. You will have to disconnect some of the switches as the panel comes out. It may be helpful to move the gear lever down, (there is a slot in the trim over the steering column between the switch levers, push the ignition key in and this unlocks the gear lever)
Once the panel surround is removed you can see the screws to remove the metal frame holding all the jap fit. It is then a matter of disconnecting wiring and removing what you don't want.

Thanks to Paul Logan (added with permission)
PARR

Re: How to get the double din radio out?

Postby Vantastic » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:58 pm

I unclipped the bezel by carefully slipping a thin blade between it and the surrounding dashboard. Then I was able to unscrew the screws - I have to say it is not as secure as European car radio systems but easy for the owner to change over. I fitted a single ISO radio and used a double ISO cover which I got from Halfords to cover the lower slot. It allows me to keep a few CD's in the lower slot.

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on! :D
Loving the Steppy! ... my other car is also Vantastic!
Vantastic

Return to ICE / SatNav etc