Service Schedule

Service Schedule

Postby OneStepForward » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:58 pm

Hi,

How often do Stepwagons need to be serviced, and when does the timing belt/chain need changing (and which one does it have), please?

Ta muchly!
OneStepForward

Re: Service Schedule

Postby PARR » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:07 pm

I'm not sure about bits other than the engine, but as that is the same as the CR-V of same year, I presume that the engine servicing (including belts etc) would be as per the CR-V, and the other stuff would be similarly serviced.
Perhaps Vantastic would know better than I!.
PARR

Postby Vantastic » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:05 am

It would be useful to know what model year stepwagon you have and the engine size. It appears that 60,000 miles is appropriate (100,000 km) for the 2.0 engine fitted up to 2000. Later DOHC i-VTEC engines appear to use chains which have a longer life.

The engine manufacturers code is useful and might be located on LH side of the engine block when looking from the front of the vehicle.

Hope this is helpful.

Lewis
Loving the Steppy! ... my other car is also Vantastic!
Vantastic

Postby OneStepForward » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:39 am

Thanks for your replies :) I don't have a Stepwagon yet, just looking into getting one. It'll probably be up to year 2000, but it really depends what I find!

Found the CR-V manual (here: http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/CR-V/), which suggests changing the oil every 7,500 miles under normal driving conditions, and the oil filter every 15,000 miles. It has a timing belt which needs changing at 105,000 miles. Not bad at all (bearing in mind I was looking at the Bongos last week - oil change every 3,000 miles!).
OneStepForward

Postby Vantastic » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:19 am

There is a very nice RF3 2003 stepwagon on eebeey at the moment and much cheaper than ours was 2 years ago .. the market has collapsed so a good time to buy! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-Stepwagon-/ ... 588b1915bb

Let us know what you decide! :D coz we are nosy! :lol:

Lewis
Vantastic

Postby OneStepForward » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:05 pm

Oy, stop tempting me :lol: Need to go and see one first (I'm enjoying my Xmas break, but don't see why dealers should have the same luxury!). Wrong side of London for us too!

Re. market collapsing: do you mean the market for Stepwagons, or cars in general?
OneStepForward

Postby Vantastic » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:20 pm

Well I have bought a very nice BMW last month too for not much money and all the forums I read show the market is very slow and the sellers are reducing their prices to try to sell their vehicles.

We test drove a RF1 (1996) and loved the light controls, easy steering, cornering etc but we decided to spend a bit more and get the latest DOHC i-VTEC 2.0l engine version - it is superb as we expected. I had a Honda Accord before so I knew the engine technology is good. I also am an LPG fan so we have 2 cars running on LPG and I might switch the Stepwagon over to LPG too but we don't do a lot of miles in it. One thing to bear in mind, some Stepwagons in the UK have had their mileometers fiddled with since they are all imported as calibrated in kilometers and then converted to miles. It is important to check the Japanese documents and spend a little time checking the kilometers at service points. I have been told there is a way to get a check on this in Japan by the importer we used but I don't have any further details.

Hope this helps and I knew I could tempt you! :lol:
Vantastic

Postby Vantastic » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:25 pm

Oh and forget Bongos! :lol: The main problem with them for us was the huge central tunnel and engine sitting between the driver and front passenger - we love the way the stepwagons allow access from front to back and ours converts to a picnic van and sleeper very easily too. We kept ours as an 8 seater with 5 full 3 point belts and 3 lap belts which works for our family. One day when the kids leave the nest we might convert to a camper! :D
Vantastic

Postby OneStepForward » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:04 pm

The main problems with the Bongos for us were the rather eccentric, erratic cooling system, the fuel consumption (we're likely to do a lot of miles in it), and the service intervals. The mid-engine was a bit of a pain, but that paled into insignificance compared with everything else.

We'd like a camper in a small vehicle (due to limited parking space), but are thinking of just keeping it with all the seats (with all the rotating options) to begin with, then adapting according to our needs. The full side conversions are a bit narrow for two, and losing a set of rear seats probably a bit short, but think we can do something simple but creative which combines the best of both worlds.

We're already tempted by them, just want to see a few before we make a decision :D There don't seem to be any Japanese importers with Stepwagons locally, with open showrooms we can just visit (ie. without an appointment), so we'll have to look at the few individual vehicles available near us, and/or take a long trip to the south east!
OneStepForward

Postby PARR » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:58 am

If you don't mind Norfolk(!!) try Brown's Car Sales, Mundford - they usually have a few in - look on their web-site - <www.brownscarsales.co.uk>. They say that they do not buy at auction, but from dealers in Japan.
PARR

Next

Return to Servicing / tuning / MOT