Steering Wheel / Cabin shake

Steering Wheel / Cabin shake

Postby Stevef+ » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:03 am

Hi folks can I have a spot of help please? My 2001 Stepwagon 2.0 RF1 suffers from vibration at the steering wheel from 60 mph getting very bad at 75 and reducing again at 80-85 :? At 75 you can feel the vibration in your seat and on the door side panels.

I have checked the obvious such as wheel balancing and have also swapped the wheels front to back in case I have a warped wheel. Tyres are new with no bulges. The wheels have the correct size nylon spigots in the centres, the absence of which can cause problems like out of balance wheels. Braking is smooth and vibration free indicating the discs are ok.

Jacking the car up, the front hub bearings feel ok as do the track rod ends. Am am just wondering if anyone knows of a common Stepwagon problem ?

Cheers, any suggestions welcome. Stevef
Stevef+

Re: Steering Wheel / Cabin shake

Postby stepdaddy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:39 am

Hi, I know you said you're done the obvious, but just checking whether you have had the tracking done? Mine was doing the same thing, at about the same speeds, and the tyre place found that the alignment was 2 degrees out. Sorting the tracking sorted the problem.
stepdaddy

Postby PARR » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:53 am

Could it be an engine mounting?
PARR

Postby Stevef+ » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:20 pm

Thanks Stepdaddy (great name by the way) and Parr. Have to say I had not considered the tracking. Thanks for your tip , I'll see if it works and rpeort back

Engine mount is also a possibility, I read this elsewhere I'll have to ask my garage how to check it though unless there is a bolt missing.

Cheers everyone.
Stevef+

Return to Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels