Reversing lights and extra-bright rear fog lights.

Reversing lights and extra-bright rear fog lights.

Postby PARR » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:00 pm

As I do a fair amount of continental driving, I wanted bilateral extra-bright rear fog lights.
My supplier (unnamed as very helpful - he had to replace the sat/nav set-up as it had burned out) but the chap he used to fit the reversing sensors was a sloppy worker - the sensors worked but the leads had not been dressed at all) agreed to set this up, but when I collected the Steppy (RF4, 2002) I found that they had connected a new dash switch (which needed mounting properly) to the O/S reversing light and changed its function to extra-bright rear fog light - they put in a white bulb painted red - not very effective!
I found on ebay some red LED 21w equivalent capless bulbs to use for the extra-brights, and a pair of white LED rear lights - 21W equivalent (expensive at 0.99p each - free postage!)
Today I fitted these - the white ones have a 20mm long 10mm diameter threaded shank with a nut, so they were mounted in the rear moulding 2" below the rear cluster. and the wire just threaded upwards to the back of the reversing lamp. The thread was a good fit in the 10mm hole I drilled, screwing in easily and bedded in clear silicone sealer prior to threading the nut.
On the O/S I left the new extra-bright wiring in place and connected a length of 5A wire to it, threading this through the loom grommet, across the Steppy under the rear lip. back out through the loom grommet on the N/S and replaced the reversing lamp connection with the link.
I connected the red wire from the LED to the green/black reversing light wire and the return to a black wire in the loom on each side.
Naturally I put the red LEDs in wrong way round, so just had to reverse their position!
Now have very bright reversing lights and moderately bright red fog lights on each side.
Next job - fit a frequency changer in the aerial lead.
PARR

Re: Reversing lights and extra-bright rear fog lights.

Postby Vantastic » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:12 pm

great information - any chance of a photo of the finished job with the reverse and fog lights on in the dark - I don't ask for much! :lol:
Loving the Steppy! ... my other car is also Vantastic!
Vantastic

Postby PARR » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:38 am

I'll see what I can do - I've just returned from 4 weeks in Europe, and will be away off and on (mainly on) until January.
My last attempt at uploading was a dismal failure!
I will try to get the web addresses (e-bay_ for the actual lights I used.
PARR

Postby Vantastic » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:53 am

Thanks .. you are busier than me .. I thought my business trips to Kuala Lumpur were enough! :D
Vantastic

Postby PARR » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:46 pm

Ptdc0179.jpg
Ptdc0179.jpg (15.42 KiB) Viewed 20613 times
Hi - I'll try to upload 3 photos - rear of Steppy in daylight, no lights illuminated, rear fog in place of reversing light and new LED reversing light.
The red LEDs are from e-bay - enter <pair 582 - 7440 12 LED Light bulbs stop/tail/indicator/rear fog> from Car-mod-shop-ltd, Unit 6, Dotton Farm, Colaton Raleigh, Sidmouth, Devon, EX10 0JY - about £5.99.
The white ones are also from e-bay, enter <12v 9w car eagle eye LED Day running lights & screw energy saving reverse lamp> from 'sweetjugadgets' - about "2.00 a pair. (from China - took 10 days to arrive).

Only one file permitted at a time - herewith the first one.
Others in next two post - I hope.
PARR

Postby PARR » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:47 pm

Second picture. Reversing light.
Attachments
Ptdc0180.jpg
Ptdc0180.jpg (11.07 KiB) Viewed 20612 times
PARR

Postby PARR » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:51 pm

Third photo - rear fog in place of original reversing light - not much brighter than the side lights, but as they only come on when side lights are on, cannot put them on separately.
Attachments
Ptdc0182.jpg
Ptdc0182.jpg (15.31 KiB) Viewed 20610 times
PARR

Postby Vantastic » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:47 pm

Thanks pal :lol:
Vantastic

Return to Electrics / wiring / lights etc