changing a headlight bulb

changing a headlight bulb

Postby timholmes61 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:25 pm

Hi,

I have an RF4 which I love. But it needs a new headlight bulb and neither myself or my garage can work out how to access the bulb to change it! I can't believe it can be that complicated but tried everything.

The japanese manual seems to suggest you have to remove the wheel arch cover and stick your hand up to reach the underside of the light unit. Tried that and still not enough access to get to it.

The panel on the back of the unit says not to open it so doesn't look like that is the access.

Has anyone change the headlight bulb on an RF3 or RF4 and can tell me what I need to do?

Thanks in advance.
timholmes61

Re: changing a headlight bulb

Postby Scrap » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:36 am

Hi Tim

I've changed both headlight bulbs on my RF3 but it sounds though your RF4 is different as mine was straightforward. Both are accessed under the bonnet and the only difficulty was that you have to remove the washer reservoir to access one of them.

To change the direction indicators you have to remove a panel under the wheel arch on the RF3 but that was also straightforward following the manual.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Best wishes

Brian
Scrap

Postby timholmes61 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:09 pm

Thanks for your help. I will need to take another look because nothing seemed removeable when we looked before.

The headlights I have seem like high powered ones so I'm wondering if they have been replaced with HID units or something similar, hence being sealed and different to regular honda ones.

If so, does anyone have any idea what I have to do to replace them? Buy a whole new headlight unit?!
timholmes61

Postby Vantastic » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:35 pm

I struggled away and almost removed the headlamp assembly to change the bulb on the driver's side on our 2002 RF3. The aircon pipework was in the way!

Tonight I noticed our driver's side lens is deteriorating (crazing) and I have checked the cost to get on from Japan .. OUCH! :lol:
Loving the Steppy! ... my other car is also Vantastic!
Vantastic

Postby timholmes61 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:52 pm

Hope you got yours sorted!

In the end I found out I had HID lights and that was why nothing was making sense! But once I'd realised I was supposed to open the cover which said 'do not open' the process of changing the bulbs for expensive new ones was quite easy. Only took 3 months to work it out. No moving or removing of anything was required except the coolant tank but that just came off the clip.
timholmes61

Re: changing a headlight bulb / assembly

Postby Vantastic » Sat May 10, 2014 5:32 pm

I got a replacement headlamp unit from Japan and am now trying to figure out how to replace the whole assembly. Any ideas anyone :?:
Vantastic

Postby PARR » Thu May 22, 2014 10:07 pm

On the RF2 the headlights and rad grill are all clipped together so the headlamps mount the grill which also bolts down behind. The grill would need to come off first, I think.
PARR

Postby Vantastic » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:08 am

Still playing with how to change the headlamp .. I actually bought a HID one from Japan .. so I am considering just re-using the lens from the now one. :? :?
Vantastic

Return to Electrics / wiring / lights etc