Any Insurance updates? about to take out my 1st-time policy!

Any Insurance updates? about to take out my 1st-time policy!

Postby chrissie195 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:18 pm

Hi all
I've been a bit silent on here for a while as my Wgn has been en route from Japan but it landed in S'ton last week and is being converted by Wellhouse in W Yorks as I write ... & should be ready for collection or delivery by the end of June (fingers crossed)!
I know the Club has recommended 2GetherFS and Wellhouse have a list of potential insurers I can try ringing round (next job!)
Before I do ring round for quotes, does anyone have any recent experience of insuring their Stepwagon (camper conversion) for the first time? if so, what are the favoured companies and your views?
My Wgn is a 1998 Field Deck (popup roof already factory fitted) and will have a half (rear only) conversion.
I don't expect anyone on here to give figures! that's my job to find out as obviously it varies depending on the insured's age, driving experience, number of named drivers, no claims bonus etc.
But it would be really helpful to know if anyone has anything to offer on who they found gave the most favourable quotes etc.
here's hoping - thanks in anticipation!
Chrissie
chrissie195

Re: Any Insurance updates? about to take out my 1st-time pol

Postby SASBush » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:54 pm

I just transferred my Insurance to my new Stepwagon (Not a Camper) that is Direct Line - but they won't cover it for theft unless I fit an aftermarket immobiliser. Up for renewal soon anyway and given that the last theft of a vehicle where I live was in 2004 probably not an issue.
SASBush

Postby PARR » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:21 am

Interesting to see that you have a policy with Direct Line - their system will not recognise my Steppy - described on the V5C registration document only as Honda MPV - no mention of Stepwagon (tells me the reg. number does not match). My policy is with Groupama, but I consider them expensive - over £400. My 2003 CR-V costs me £235 through LV.
I am trying to get DVLA to enter 'Stepwagon' on the document under 'model' but I only have a chance of that as they want evidence from the manufacturer. Fortunately I have the original service document (in Japanese) which shows the model name and the chassis number (translation by supposition and reverse translation on Google), and the existing V5C shows the chassis number and reg. number.
I have sent things off, and await results.
Hopefully if the change happens the insurance companies' database access to DVLA will allow further investigation for cheaper insurance.
PARR

Postby SASBush » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:50 pm

PARR wrote:Interesting to see that you have a policy with Direct Line - their system will not recognise my Steppy

Well, they did give some bizarre options over the phone including 'Stepwagon UK' and 'Stepwagon Import' - I went for the import - funnily enough.
SASBush

Postby PARR » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks for that SASbush.
I tried Direct line again, but they only cover (so they tell me) Steppies from 2005 onwards - not 1999!
PARR

Postby admin » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:44 pm

viewforum.php?f=24 <-- Click to view
If you're not living life on the edge - you're taking up too much room!
admin
Site Admin

Postby steppyham1 » Mon May 28, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi,We`re new to the Club and are buying our 1st Steppy on Wed.Reading about Difficulties in finding Insurance we tried several on-line sites and ended up going with Direct line.They found The Stepwagon on their computer system right away,others could only find the Honda Accord and couldn`t give me a quote.I read about one chap who couldn`t get cover with Theft cover,we have and all inclusive of Legal cover for under £500 I`m sure this is a goodish price,concidering the hassle involved going from site to site.Please advise if you feel I`m being Naive Cheers Nice to be amounst Steppy Pals Pete and Sue
:P :P
steppyham1

Postby Donut » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:36 pm

Just rung round for my insurance quote :o
For a 2001 RF4 value £6000 two drivers one motoring conviction 3 years ago and 4 years no claims
Adrian Flux £1130 :lol:
Aviva £650 :P
Lifesure £492

Still more ringing round to go but I nearly abandonded my stepwagon purchase on the Adrian Flux quote - ridiculous
2001 RF3 :-)
Donut

Postby Donut » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:37 pm

By the way I'm 47 and the policy was for me and wife - 45 - no accidents or convictions
2001 RF3 :-)
Donut

Postby stepdaddy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:24 pm

Long time no post (lost password etc).

Anyway, I have owned my RF2 Stepwgn for four years and it's only now that I've been able to get any decent prices for insurance. My first policy (31/08/08) was £400 and between then and 2011 it just kept getting more and more expensive. 2011's policy cost me around £600(!), fully comp, protected NCD, £250 excess. That was with Lifesure - every year I also tried a couple of others like 2gether and Adrian Flux who were never any cheaper. This year's renewal with Lifesure was £568.

However, it seems like the mainstream insurers are starting to cover the Steppy (I think it didn't have an insurance group for a while, but now it's group 26 according to the girl at Admiral) so I was able to get identical cover from Aviva for £268. I'm 39, full NCD, no convictions. Aviva have the Steppy on their online system (perhaps only up to 2001, can't remember) as do Admiral (although Admiral list it as a camper conversion, so you might have to check with them first).
stepdaddy

Return to Insurance