Side and Bumper Skirts

Side and Bumper Skirts

Postby PARR » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:47 pm

Has anyone tried removing the side and bumper skirts? (RF2)
The front bumper skirt is too low for any snow depth greater than about 5 inches and risks being torn off or at least damaged.
(Already scraped on delivery - probably on a kerb edge).
They look as if they are 'after-fit'.
PARR

Re: Side and Bumper Skirts

Postby PARR » Thu May 24, 2012 2:17 pm

Front Bumper Skirt successfully removed.
My goodness, the 'van looks so much better, but I've decided to leave the side and rear skirts for the time being.
Method : - Remove front number plate. There are two bolts immediately visible holding moulded 'tongues' to the bumper. Leave these to the last.
Remove the grille - 3 screws at the top, 1 centrally low down inside which just needs loosening. 4 clips, two each end, high and low - depress the little tongue in each and the grille just slides out forwards.
Look down behind the bumper and grille position - there are 3 bolt heads partly obscured by wiring harness in front of the radiators - one in centre, the others about 18 inches laterally - unscrew these with extensions on the wrench and 11mm socket on the end. The nuts are captive, so don't need holding.
Behind each end of the bumper, about a foot in there are two brackets pop-riveted to the bottom of the skirt.
The other end of the bracket has a bolt coming down from above the bumper (inside)- an ordinary spanner will get at this, and again the nut is captive.
With these 5 bolts out, you only need to remove 2 screws each side where the skirt fits to the bumper (in the wheel arch), and then remove the bolts in the number plate recess.
Done!
The bumper itself will be pretty dirty so that's another job - on mine there was some underseal overspray!
The skirt had obviously been damaged prior to my getting it but the damage had been disguised by cutting away some of the little lip under the skirt.
PARR

Postby Donut » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi all
Thinking of getting a 1997 RF1 I recently viewed - however it has no body kit at all and looks a bit bland......Anyone know if subtle :? body kits are available? I don't want to go too mad but some small side skirts and a little front "scoop" would look great
Cheers
2001 RF3 :-)
Donut

Postby Vantastic » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:28 am

Look like Parr could sell them on to Donut! :lol:
Loving the Steppy! ... my other car is also Vantastic!
Vantastic

Postby Donut » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:06 pm

8-)
Donut

Postby PARR » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:03 pm

If the front skirt had been in good order it would have advertised it, but during delivery it had been badly distorted and scraped by being driven over a kerb - I had had to cut away the nasty bits and it looked a bit odd - hence the removal.
PARR

Postby Donut » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:55 pm

I've decided on a newer vehicle that already has a nice body kit so no longer required :)
Donut

Postby PARR » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:21 pm

I've now got my replacement RF4, which has 'skirts' all round. The front bumper skirt, to me, looks out of balance, but I was very surprised to find that is one with the actual bumper - one moulding.
This one is still low - only about 6" clearance, and this too has been badly scraped underneath. The 'shark-mouth' grill in the bumper has been broken, but fortunately it is not vital for strength, and is hardly visible unless you know where to look!
PARR

Return to Body work