Gearbox Solenoid Filter service advice with photos

General technical Q&A for the Honda Stepwagon

Gearbox Solenoid Filter service advice with photos

Postby Vantastic » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:31 pm

RF1/2 MODEL DATA

SYMPTOMS

It was mainly 30-40 mph, it would keep changing from 4th to third. And kick down was awful, it would drop down a couple of gears and rev the balls off the engine if you weren't gentle. Let's say it was iratic.

The kick down was pretty bad. Mainly from 4th to 3rd. It's worth doing

WHAT TO DO

Well! After putting up with a sometimes awkward gearbox for several months, I made some enquiries and decided to do something about it. My first idea was to just change the gearbox oil, but was also informed about the gearbox solenoid filters. It has two pairs of solenoids, one on top and the other one shown in the picture. I stripped them both down and cleaned the gauze filters before re sealing, then filled it with new dextron 3 fluid. Well, the results were amazing! If you are experiencing poor gear changes, I strongly recommend having this done.

GEARBOX FILTER1.jpg
GEARBOX FILTER1.jpg (42.98 KiB) Viewed 10800 times

COMMENTS

Did you replace the O ring style seals ? .
What brand ATF did you use as a lot of peeps say honda is best but thats got to be ####### expensive ?.
3 June at 23:26 · Like

Andrew Leek No, I carefully removed the whole seal which includes the gauzes. Use a very thin blade screwdriver. Honda recommend dextron 2 equivalent, but it is now superseded by dextron 3. I use triple qx. It does the same job. Euro car parts. Trade is about £16 + vat. So average Joe should pay around £25 for a 5 litre tub.
3 June at 23:38 · Like

Andrew Leek Oh and I just cleaned it out with brake cleaner and used a very light smear of gasket sealer. Good luck.
3 June at 23:50 · Like

Danny Celestino dont forget to use orig.honda A.T.F.fluid.
5 June at 04:53 · Like

Andrew Leek Honda recommend dextron 2. Dextron 3 supersedes it. It's more than adequate mate. Honda actually use what I used.
Loving the Steppy! ... my other car is also Vantastic!
Vantastic

Re: Gearbox Solenoid Filter service advice with photos

Postby Vantastic » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:32 pm

The other photo - this forum only allows 1 photo per post and a very small size one as well!!! :twisted:

GEARBOX FILTER2.jpg
GEARBOX FILTER2.jpg (39.24 KiB) Viewed 10799 times
Loving the Steppy! ... my other car is also Vantastic!
Vantastic

Return to General technical Q&A